For the 2017 - 2018 school year, non-sibling applicants must be born on or before June 1, 2015 to be eligible for our program. If you have a child born in June and think they might be ready for our preschool program, please contact Nicole Ferrin to discuss. Please note these age ranges are general guidelines and are subject to change.
|| Child's birthday is between:
| 6/2/16 - 1/31/17 (Open to the community)*
| Young 2s
| 6/2/16 - 1/31/17 (Barrow Street Siblings Only)
|| 6/2/15 - 6/1/16
|| 6/2/14 - 6/1/15
|| 6/2/13 - 10/31/14
*Toddler classes are for children who turn two after June 2nd. You do NOT need to submit an online application at this time. Registration will occur in February 2018 for the 2018-2019 school year. Please see our Toddler Class page for more information.
There are four steps to our admissions process: (1) Application (2) Lottery (3) Parent Visit (includes a tour and group interview) and (4) Child Visit.
Complete an online application. In order to proceed through our process, an application must be on file.
- An application is needed for all first time, re-applying and sibling applicants.
- If you are applying for financial aid, the application fee is waived.
- Our application has several open-ended questions that will help us begin to know your family and child. Please know that we are only expecting a short paragraph for each question.
We would love to meet all families interested in our school. However, due to the large number of applications we receive and limited class spots, we hold a lottery to determine which families continue through our admissions process. Notification of lottery results will be emailed to applicants mid-October.
Parent Visits: Interview and Tour
For families continuing in the process, a school visit will be arranged for parents between November and January. These visits include a school tour and an informal group interview session with our director of admissions and senior director. These sessions are for parents only and are approximately one hour long. Parents are encouraged to ask questions to learn as much as they can about our program.
First-time applicant parents are required to attend one of these sessions as part of the admissions application. Parents of sibling applicants and any families who are re-applying are welcome, but not required, to attend again.
Child Visits: Play Observation
Child visits will be held in January.* In October, we will email you with an appointment day and time for your child's visit. If you have not received notification by the first week in December, please contact our admissions office.
During these 30 minute visits, children are grouped by age and observed in small group play sessions. Children interact with a variety of materials, games and blocks and participate in directed activities, such as clean up and song time, which assist us in observing their learning style.
To help your child's visit, we hope the following guidelines make the experience a positive one for all.
- Only one adult is permitted to accompany each child into the classroom. We want these visits to be enjoyable for all our young visitors and too many adults in a room can prove overwhelming in a new setting.
- We are unable to offer tours during these visits as our admissions staff will be engaged observing your children.
- Depending on the children's age, we understand not all will separate from a parent or caregiver at the play session. We leave it up to you to interact with your child as you see fit. However, we do ask that you do your best to let your child direct their own play.
*Please note that your child's visit is essential to the application process. If your child is not available on Tuesday, 1/17, please notify our admissions office as early as possible.
Letters of notification will be emailed to parents according to the dates specified by the Independent School Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY).*
We truly value our current and past families and enjoy welcoming siblings to our community. All siblings are expected to apply at the Young 2s or 2s/3s level.
Important information for sibling applicants:
- Please use the admissions portal above to submit your application.
- All siblings automatically receive a play date and are NOT entered into the general lottery.
- Sibling play dates will be held in a separate play date. You will receive notification in advance.
- For those applying for financial aid, submit your forms between November 1st - December 15th.
- All siblings receive early notification in December unless a family contacts our office to note otherwise. Please note that early notification is never a guarantee of admission.
We do our absolute best to accommodate all sibling applicants after placing our returning students. However, we may not be able to offer your first choice of session.
Our goal is to accommodate the schedules of out of town applicants to Barrow Street. Therefore, please inform us as soon as possible of any dates you plan to be in the New York City area so we can schedule a visit and tour for you and your child. Whenever possible, we would like to have children participate in our regularly scheduled group visits.
*As members, we follow all ISAAGNY notification dates.
Financial Aid (FA) awards are determined after thoughtful consideration of each FA application. To assist our process, we use the NAIS School and Student Services (SSS). SSS is an independent organization that provides need-based analysis to help private schools determine the financial need of their applicants. This national platform uses an objective and consistent methodology to calculate a family's ability to contribute to educational expenses.
SSS estimates a family's ability to pay school costs based on income, expenses and family asses as reported to SSS on that family's Parent Financial Statement (PFS). These PFS reports are sent to Barrow Street and we use them as a component of our FA review process.
Barrow Street Nursery School considers each case individually and gives preference to families with parents working outside the home.